Wednesday, November 16, 2011

I'm sorry, I can't make the WoW Raid tonight. I'm busy playing Skyrim

Eh, no, not really. I'll be there, but it was really hard to pry myself away from the XBox 360 today. Oh, I have it on PC too, but I save that for work diversions. It has been a really long time since I've been this immersed in a game that I would buy both the 360 and the PC version and play both versions during the same week. I love being able to sneak up on enemies and shoot them from a great distance and when I hit them, they suffer significant damage and don't instantly dash to me and kill me. The game takes me more time when I'm stealthing, but I enjoy it and I get to see a lot more of the game when I'm not trying to run from the enemy or towards them and hack n' slash. The game lets you do that do if you want. You can use your sword (or swords if you dual wield) or other melee weapon to obliterate the enemy. You can also use magic as well if that's your style. You'll also learn some dragon shouts along the way that are basically beefed up magical powers that help you with your journey. There are puzzles along the way, but they aren't too complicated or "Myst-like" that you won't be able to figure them out. A lot revolve around reading notes that you find or using your dragon shouts.

The game is also amazingly beautiful, which is one of the reasons I like to sneak around and take my time. The entire scenery seems so real, I almost stopped to try and take a leak in the gushing waterfall, but alas I had a ladyfriend accompanying me on my journey so I decided against it (It was then, that I realized I really had to go in RL and the sounds of the waterfall were making it a lot worse). I'm going to add a disclaimer here: I haven't played the game in hard mode, I'm currently playing it in Easy. Once I complete the story, I'll go back and try it in medium and hard and see what the differences are and if I can complete the game in those modes; however, I'm more of a story guy and like to get the full story of the game, rather than worrying about getting my brains beat out of me at every single moment. Although I'm playing it on Easy, I have not used any cheat codes and the game makes it very easy to pick up at your last save, or auto-save, if you die, so cheats aren't really necessary at this point.

If you have enjoyed playing the previous Elder Scrolls installments, then you are almost certainly in for a treat with Skyrim. Even if you have shyed away from the game before, give Skyrim a try, you may find yourself enjoying the variety of ways that you can play and complete the game. The graphics are amazing, so if you are the type that the graphics make the game for you, then you also need to get your hands on this game. That's it for now, see ya next time (I know it's been a while since my last post, but I'll try to keep coming back as regularly as I can).

-Ashton

No comments:

Post a Comment

Viglink